Excela Health Hospice, one of the oldest and most experienced hospice services in Westmoreland County, is committed to providing the highest level of care to patients and families. We can relieve many of the physical, emotional and spiritual burdens associated with a terminal illness and provide care that meets the patient’s and family’s needs.
The end of life is a natural process. We make every effort to preserve dignity and individuality by honoring our patients’ wishes regarding care. Our goal is to create a peaceful, nurturing environment, so that the time you have together is spent more comfortably. And with dignity.
Excela Health Hospice is Medicare certified and provided under the approval and supervision of your family physician. Care is coordinated by our skilled nursing staff and may include:
- Symptom control
- Pain management
- Physical support
- Emotional, psychosocial, spiritual and practical support for the patient and family
Eligibility and Treatment
Hospice care is a choice. An individual must choose to receive this service or, family members, the person’s physician, clergy or other health care professionals can refer a patient to hospice.
If you’re wondering about Hospice and if it is the next step, click here.
To enter hospice, a certified prognosis of six months or less from a physician is required. Those using hospice services include patients with cancer, lung disease, end-stage heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and other terminal diseases.
Once a referral is made, an individualized plan of care and treatment is developed based on the physician’s orders and an overall assessment by our hospice team. Patients and their families play an important role in this process. The attending physician is routinely informed of the patient’s status, and the care plan is adjusted as needed.
We encourage patients and their families to ask questions and participate actively in the care and treatment, particularly when assistance or reassurance is needed.
Special Hospice Programs
Some of our special programs:
- Massage Therapy
- Veteran Programming
- Art Expression Program
- Bear Buddies
- Hand Photos
- Birthday Cakes
- Pet Helpers
- Treasured Memories
- Teddy bears made from a loved one’s clothing items as a way to remember, hold and keep something of the loved one.
- To celebrate a patient’s special day, our volunteers deliver a home-baked cake with all our good wishes upon your request. It’s another way to create a lasting memory.
- Have a pet who has been a steady companion? If there comes a time when you need help caring for your pet in your home so you can stay together, our Pet Helpers are there to assist.
- Hands that comfort. Hands that care. Hands that hold. Touching photos of a patient’s hands and those they love can serve as a lasting memory.
- That one family story. The unique photo of generations, a military experience. A treasured family recipe. Items woven into the legacy of giving and remembering. Treasured Memories can be an audio or video remembrance of experiences to save forever.